You are here
Central Institute on Classical Tamil (CICT)
Following the commitment of the Central Government under the National Common Minimum Programme, the official recognition to Tamil as a classical language was given by the Government of India vide Ministry of Home Affairs notification no. IV-14014/7/2004-NI-II dated 12.10.2004. In continuation to the efforts to promote ‘Classical Tamil’, the Union Cabinet approved the proposal of Ministry of HRD for setting up CICT at Chennai in the meeting held on 30.1.2008. Thereafter, the Ministry issued a Notification dated 20.2.2008 conveying the decision of the Government of India to establish CICT at Chennai. Central Institute of Classical Tamil (CICT) started functioning from its office at Chennai as an autonomous organization fully funded by the Ministry of HRD; however it has been registered with the Registrar of Societies, Chennai Central on 21.1.2009. The institute has following objectives:-
- To organize and offer educational and research programmes at postgraduate level in classical Tamil leading to Ph.D. and Post Doctoral Awards.
- To support research projects received from universities and established institutions and also support such field studies as may be relevant.
- To organize national and international Conferences, Seminars and Workshops and support similar efforts in universities and established academic institutions.
- To support publication of research studies.
- To support publication of ancient Tamil works in original and its translation in English and Indian languages.
- To promote and encourage studies in the composite nature of Indian culture, with focus on Dravidian component in the Indian civilization and heritage.
- To provide fellowships for doctoral and post-doctoral research in classical Tamil
- To institute awards for outstanding contributions in the area of classical Tamil.
- To promote classical Tamil education in India and abroad.
- To serve as a clearinghouse of information pertaining to classical Tamil. Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu has been designated as ex-officio Chairperson of the Governing Council of the Institute and it is administratively headed by a Director.
For more details,click here: www.cict.in